tracking

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Grilling with Fresh Garden Vegetables

Anyone who knows me knows that I love to grill. I have tried to cook just about anything that I can on my backyard barbecue. I love grilling in the summer, not only because it makes my food delicious, but it keeps my house cooler. But, one of my favorites is grilling fresh garden veggies. Here are some recipes:

Grilled Corn on the Cob: Alright, so I didn't grow my own corn. I bought it at the Downtown Farmer's Market. But, here is how I grill it: 1) Pull back the corn husks and remove the corn silk. Do NOT remove the husks. Instead, pull them back up. 2) Soak the husks fully immersed in water for at least 20 minutes. I find that I get the best results if I soak the corn for about 1 hour. 3) Remove the husks from the water and place on the grill without letting the excess water run out of the husks. Turn the corn about every five minutes. The husks will dry out, turn brown, and then start to burn. That is when they are done. 4) Carefully pull of the husks and enjoy.

Grilled Veggies: There are a wide variety of veggies that you can grill. I love to grill zucchini, crook neck squash, patty pan squash, mushrooms, peppers, onions, and eggplant. Here is how I do it: 1) Cut veggies into pieces that are large enough not to fall through the grill. For smaller veggies, it helps to kabob them or use a grill basket. 2) Brush veggies with italian salad dressing (Wishbone Italian Salad Dressing is my favorite) on both sides and place on the grill. 3) Grill for approximately 20 minutes or until done brushing occasionally with more salad dressing. 4) Remove from grill and enjoy.

Grilled Potato Wedges: I also got the beautiful potatoes pictured above from a little kid and his grandpa at the Downtown Farmer's Market. But, potato wedges on the grill can round out your grill cooked meal. Here is how I made them. 1) Wash and quarter potatoes. 2) Drizzle enough olive oil over them to coat. 3) Add salt, garlic powder, and paprika and stir to completely coat. 4) Place in grill basket on barbecue and stir frequently until potatoes are fully cooked (about 1 hour). 5) Remove and enjoy.

Happy Grilling!

No comments:

Post a Comment