tracking

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Red Currant Jam


My family has two large red currant bushes that were filled with fruit this year. So, I decided to make one of our favorite, old world, delicacies: Red Currant Jam. This is how I made it:



First, I sorted the currants and removed leaves, stems, and icky currants. I then washed them throughly. I then had about 4 cups of fruit for my jam.


Next, I placed the currants in a pan and added 1/2 cup water and about 2 tbls. lemon juice. I add lemon juice to all of my jams, whether the recipe calls for it or not, because it is a natural flavor enhancer, preservative, and prevents botulism from forming.

I then brought the fruit mixture to a boil and then reduced it to simmer for 15 min. The fruit mixture had formed mostly a juice. I crushed some of the currants with a potato masher, added 2 1/4 cups sugar, and simmered for another 20 min. until set. I then filled my jars and topped with my heated lids. I processed the jars in a boiling water bath for 15 min.

When I was done, I had five half pints of amazing Red Currant Jam. Time to bake some biscuits!


No comments:

Post a Comment