tracking

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

No More Wire Hangers


Finding myself with an abundance of wire hangers that really aren't all that useful, I decided to turn them into something I can actually use by pairing them up and covering them with yarn. This is a craft project that I have used since I was a kid. In fact, it is a great project for kids.

With the wire hangers I found in our closets, I was able to make seven cute new hangers. This is how to do it:


1. Select two wire hangers that are the same size and shape. Match the hangers up and tape them together in 5 or 6 places. Match the size and shape of the hangers is a little harder then it sounds. From the wire hangers I found in our closets, I have as many hangers that do not match each other as hangers that do. (If you don't have any wire hangers, your friends and family probably do).

2. Select one or two yarn colors that you want to use. This is a great way to use up remnant yarn from other projects. I purchased a bunch of yarn form a thrift store for this project (25 cents a piece; yeah!). Roll a yarn ball about the size of a golf ball.

3. Secure the yarn to the hanger by tying it on in a double knot at the top of the hanger. If you are using two colors, tie the other color of yarn on just below the first.

4. Take the first ball of yarn and pull out about six inches of yarn and make a loop over the top of the hangers. Pass the yarn ball under the opposite side of the hanger and up through the loop. Then pull the yarn tight to make a knot. Pull the knot snug up against the yarn that is already tied on the hanger.

5. If you are using two colors of yarn, make a loop on the other side of the hangers, pass your yarn ball under the hanger and through the loop, and pull tight.

6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 to tie yarn knots all the way around the hanger. Once you have reached the end, tie off the yarn in a knot and cut.

7. If you want, decorate your new hanger with a bow or pompom.
Your new wire hangers are now sturdy enough to hang a heavy coat. Not only that, but these hangers should last for a long time. My mom has some of these that she made more then 30 years ago that are in great condition.
If you don't need any more hangers, consider donating some to your local homeless or women's shelter. I know that mine are always asking for hanger donations.

No comments:

Post a Comment